Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Contentment

What is contentment? The dictionary says it is the state of being contented; an ease of mind, the act of being satisfied. If only we could heed Paul's writing in Philippians 4:11-13...."Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need." This is from the New Living Translation....love love love the ease of reading this translation! The kicker for me is the HAPPILY part, so maybe we can learn to be content with what we have or the situation we are in, but HAPPILY? Now, I know for me that can be a challenge! In this crazy, hectic, get it now world we live in the word contentment is often overlooked....how can we be content when there is so MUCH. So much to want, to think we need. But, that is in contrast to Scripture.....we are to be content with what we have and with what situation God has place us in. That said I am sure there are those that are in a very bad situation that God wants them to get out of, maybe a danger for their very lives....that's were the trust part comes in. When we put our faith in God and our trust Him to provide....He will provide the means to get out or improve that situation.
What is it that we think will bring us contentment? Money, worldly things, a spouse? Hebrews 13:5 tells us to be free from the love of money and to be satisfied with what we have.....for God has said, "I will never fail you, I will never forsake you." God will never leave me...nor will He ever forsake me, I sure can't say that about any THING or any ONE else in my life.
True contentment can be found.....in GOD! God will bring about a peace like nothing from this world can. Peace and contentment, now that's what I'm talking about! My new motto is this....."If I can't have the best of everything, I will make the best of everything I have!" The number one thing is my relationship with our Heavenly Father...to do everything I possibly can to grow stronger in the Word, to grow closer in relationship and to bring as many people as I can along!

No comments:

Post a Comment